On September 26,
1743, 55 year old George Christoph Herrold, Sr. (1688-1749) arrived
in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, aboard the ship Rosannah, accompanied by his wife, Maria Catherina
Scheelkopt and five children, Maria Margaret (22), George
Christoph, Jr. (20), Anna Maria (17), John George, Sr.
(15), and Regina Catherina (9). It was during the year 1743
that the first Lutheran Church in America was established in Philadelphia.
Upon arriving in
the Colonies and before departing their vessel, all males over the age of 16
were called to the quarters of the Captain of the Rosannah. There the
clerk of the ship placed their names on the Captain's List. George
Christoph Herrold, Sr.'s name was listed as "Christaf Heralde".
George Christoph Herrold, Jr.'s name was listed as "Yarah Christaf
Herald". The Herrold's were taken from the Rosannah to the
Philadelphia Court House where their Oath of Allegiance was made to the King
of Great Britain. The Court records for this Oath show George
Christoph Herrold, Sr.'s name signed as "George Christoph Heroldt".
George Christoph Herrold, Jr.'s name was signed as "Joorg
family traveled from Philadelphia to the Tulpehocken region of present day
Berks County, Pennsylvania, via Pottstown and Reading on the famous
Tulpehocken-Shamokin Trail that followed the Schuylkill River.
believed that the Herrolds settled on the same land for which John George
Herrold, Sr. was issued a Warrant on August 16, 1751 (a private land
purchase from Andrew Elick) for 100 acres situated about one mile west of
Reistville (part of Heidelberg and Jackson Townships) in present day Lebanon
County. In 1751, this location was in Lancaster County. These
100 acres were also 10 miles from the Christ (Tulpehocken) Lutheran Church
that is west of Stouchburg, Pennsylvania. The Christ (Tulpehocken)
Lutheran Church was formed in 1743 and "G. C. Herold" (George
Christoph Herrold, Sr.) and "A. M. Heroldin" (Anna Maria,
believed to be the wife of John George Herrold, Sr. (1728-1803))
were listed in the church records for that year. It is at this church
that "Joh. Friedrich Herhold" (John Frederick Herrold, Sr.
(1765-1841)), son of John George Herrold, Sr., was baptised; and
"An Maria Herhold" (Anna Maria Herrold), daugher of John George Herrold, Sr.,
was confirmed in 1766. Also of note, the Old Tulpehocken Lutheran
Cemetary is where "John Christoph Herold" (George Christoph
Herrold, Sr.) was buried in 1749.
summer of 1771, John George Herrold, Sr. and family moved from
Lancaster County (now Lebanon County), Pennsylvania to Cumberland County
(now Snyder County), Pennsylvania. The family arrived in the Chapman
area of Penn Township. Here John George Herrold, Sr. was issued
a land Warrant on April 29, 1772 (survey of 71 acres was made on May 4,
1774). It was on this plot that the Herrold Grist Mill was
constructed. By 1777, John George Herrold, Sr. completed
construction on a 2 1/2 story Log House, located on the North side of
Chapman Run, 500 feet west of a house built by Captain Simon Herrold
in 1816 near Route 15.
HERROLDS IN GERMANY
ANCESTORS of JOHN GEORGE